Skip to main content

Period Films and Me

Though there were lot of compliments to the Film  "Jodaa Akbar" one of the Asutosh Gauriker's film  the fact that it was a period film kept me away from this for some time. Even though I had a moderate liking for History and the Mughal dynasty which ruled India for long, a Hindi film set at this outset was not on my list.

Having seen the other two Asutosh Gowrikar's films namely "Swades" and "Lagaan" and being a favourite of really well made films,I was still not sure whether I should see this Classic on little known Jodaa, a Rajput Prince until my friend said it was really good and even went to the extent of saying its a "not be missed" category.

I started my hunt for the DVD of this Film and met with failures in my first few tries. Luckily I got hold of a copy in the next few weeks and started to watch the film with very less expectation and also with a neutral mindset.

On completion here I am writing this blog. In all it was a well made Film by the director trying to capture the feel and culture of the Mughals and the Rajput tradition of the 16th Century. the effort gone behind in making it cannot be missed, be it the costumes , jewellery or the sets in which they were shot. Its really awesome to see the battles of the past being recreated in your room with added effect by the 5.1 digital Dolby experience. The cast of Hrithik roshan as Mohamud jalaudin Akbar, the "Sehansa of the Mugals" and Aiswarya Rai Bachan as Jodaa, the bold and Beautiful rajput princess was really a fitting selection to the historical characters.

This almost unknown love story of the Muslim emperor and the Hindu Princess was told as neatly as possible with music score by our own "Oscar Nayagan" or "Madras Mossat"  (Again pride comes only from Western connection :) ) A. R Rahman

However I would have expected much more narration into their lives and their relationship though it was shown in a high level not venturing into the intricacies of their relationship. So finally my Verdict would be -  a film not to be missed.

Comments

VK said…
Sorry mate, I am not much of a Hindi movie buff, so cannot comment much on the movie. But I see the movie made some impression on you. Maybe I should try to watch the movie too. Will let you know if and when I see it.

Popular posts from this blog

Winning your boss

As I was observing on the Process of Appraisals that were going on in my new Organisation, it brought about the subjectivity that is present in the system. The only way to come out in flying colors is, be a pet to your Boss and reap rich dividends. Though the companies claim about the various thought process that has been put forward in designing the appraisal system, it all boils down to the previous line you just read. I know a guy who always came out with the best score possible during the appraisal not because he did a great job but for his attitude to tasks given by his Boss. I do not claim that he is a person who just thrives because of the "pet" tag , though he does pretty decent job. But if you consider his peers who do the same "decent" job, they somehow end up lower than him. WHY ? Again it is how he presents himself to the boss...Watch below some of his action. Never disputes the idea told by the Boss. Can always spot some think good in the Worst of

Infosys under bad light ?

The company which was a darling to its employees has become suddenly a villan or atleast show cased by the papers that way. My point is its not all that bad as reported. Ofcourse some policies require tweaking. Companies which have copied these from Infosys now should also revisit the same I guess. In the recent past some new thought provoking moves have led to the wrath of the employees. A framework change is being brought about which may take time to settledown and these reactions are as a result of the same,also because of the serious gaps which were left unnoticed during its implementation. Some serious introspection is currently underway...Waiting for things to change positively !!

33% reservation

33% reservation for women - It is being said as a breakthrough in the history of Indian parliement for having this passed in Rajya sabha, which had the blessing of Sonia Gandhi(the holder of the remote control of Indian goverment) Some want a reservation within this reservation for Muslims and (so called)lower caste women as they feel upper caste women would crush lower caste women. My question is Will these politicians ever change ? A party can decide which women candidate  can contest and if these members are so concerned about the particular sect , let them field all the 33% with their favourites!! who on earth is stopping them. Second(Actually this is should be first) question is does each party have some many ABLE(note this is bold) women candidates to field. I am not sure if this is really necessary. My opinion is India should be reservation free and the competant should make it for any post -any gender or caste...Way to go.